S.P. McClenahan Company, now in its fourth generation of McClenahan family management, was founded in 1911 by Seymour P. McClenahan. The original office consisted of desk space in the Mercantile Exchange Building in San Francisco. During this period, the company provided agricultural services in various locations throughout the state. In 1915, in response to growing demand on the San Francisco Peninsula, Seymour McClenahan moved the base of operations to Palo Alto. From 1915 to 1968, the company operated from the McClenahan residence on the 1900 block of Waverley Street, Palo Alto.
During the early years, most of the company’s clients were living on large estates. In the mid-1930’s, the company was contracted by architect Julia Morgan to perform extensive tree surgery operations at the Hearst Castle in San Simeon. In the late 1930’s, S.P. McClenahan Company accomplished a forestation project at the Hearst Estate on McCloud River in Shasta County which involved the transplanting of some five hundred Pine trees. During the decade of the 1930’s, the company employed on average, six men.
During World War II, the company continued operation on a limited scale with two employees. Seymour McClenahan was an invalid during this period. The company was managed by Herbert G. Hammers, an associate of the firm since 1923, who became an active member of the Board of Directors until his death in 1988.
Seymour McClenahan died in 1945. In 1946, Henry I. McClenahan, Seymour’s youngest son, returned from World War II and later that year, he assumed management of the company. In the era of prosperity following the war, the company began to recruit new employees and to acquire new equipment. As the population of the Peninsula increased, so did demand for arboricultural services among individual homeowners. Eventually, the company’s range of operations became centralized on the Peninsula, from San Francisco to Morgan Hill. From the post war years to the present, management has sought to adapt and infuse new technology into the company’s operations. The company has enjoyed a steady rate of annual growth and was incorporated in 1959.
During the 1960’s, as a result of considerable expansion, the company outgrew its Palo Alto location. In 1968, a new company headquarters’ was designed and built in Portola Valley, a beautiful rural area West of Stanford University.
Henry I. McClenahan retired in 1977 and James M., Henry’s son was elected President and Chief Executive Officer of the company. James has been associated with the company since his youth. Henry’s daughter, Susan McClenahan Pitt served as Chief Financial officer from 1971 until her death in November 2001.
James has been working with McClenahan Companies since 1964 and has been President since 1977. James is a registered consulting arborist, elected (#249) into the American Society of Consulting Arborists in1984. James McClenahan is a licensed Pest Control Operator, licensed contractor in the State of California, is a member of the California Arborist Association, International Society of Arboriculture, Society of Commercial Arboriculture, and the Tree Care Industry Association. Under his direction, S.P. McClenahan Company continues its reputation of excellence in the field of arboriculture and has flourished in the industry.
John Henry, the fourth generation of the McClenahan family to join the business, started in 1993. John Henry graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, with a Bachelor of Science in Ornamental Horticulture. He is an ISA Board-Certified Master Arborist, Licensed Pest Control Adviser, and serves as the Vice President of S.P. McClenahan Company. John has served on the board of directors of Canopy Trees for Palo Alto and California Association of Pest Control Advisers and continues to establish himself in the pest control and tree care industry in California. John and Jim McClenahan
Joshua, the younger brother of John Henry, joined the firm in 2006. He transitioned to the family business from a Commercial Insurance Loss Control Consultant position. Josh received his Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Science in 2001 and his Master of Science in Safety Science in 2002 from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ. He obtained TCIAs Certified Treecare Safety Professional designation in November 2006 and BCSPs Certified Safety Professional designation in June 2009. Joshua is the Director of Risk Management for the firm.
S.P. McClenahan Company is one of the largest and one of the oldest family owned arboricultural firms servicing the private sector in Northern California. The company has averaged 55 employees over the last decade, including seven supervisory personnel. The company’s operations include consultation, diagnosis, appraisal, pruning, removal, planting, transplanting, bracing, cabling, cavity repair, treatment of root crown disease, spraying, fertilization and aeration.
In October 2006, S.P. McClenahan Co. was officially recognized as an Accredited Company by the Tree Care Industry Association. TCIA Accreditation means that our company adheres to all the accreditation standards and has undergone a rigorous application process. TCIA verified this by conducting an on-site audit of S. P. McClenahan Company, Inc. facilities and work sites assuring the company operates under foremost business processes to ensure: consumer confidence, safety, and ethical business practices.
The company has been a member of the International Society of Arboriculture and the California Arborist Association since the inception of these organizations. In addition, S.P. McClenahan is a sustaining member of the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA), Society of Commercial Arboriculture (SCA), California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA), California Association of Pest Control Advisers (CAPCA), Pesticide Applicators Professional Association (PAPA), American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Better Business Bureau (BBB), and National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB).
The McClenahan Companies strive to provide Excellence in Arboricultural Services for our clientele.
Operating under the foremost business practices for 95 years with expertly trained and talented personnel affords us the opportunity to deliver unparalleled service and provide Excellence in Arboricultural Services.
The management team of S.P. McClenahan Co., Inc. consists of the owners and department supervisors. Meetings are held on a daily basis to track sales and production as well as personnel and other issues. The team consists of the following employees:
• John Henry McClenahan, Chief Executive Officer. John Henry is the fourth generation of the McClenahan family business and joined the firm in 1993. John Henry graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Ornamental Horticulture. He is an ISA Board Certified Master Arborist, Licensed Pest Control Adviser, TCIA Certified Treecare Safety Professional, ISA Tree Risk Assessor Qualified and member of the American Society of Consulting Arborists. John Henry served on the Board of Directors of Canopy Trees for Palo Alto and California Association of Pest Control Advisers. He continues to establish himself in the tree care and pest control industries in California. John Henry was a recipient of the Western Chapter ISA Award of Achievement in 2012.
• Joshua McClenahan, Chief Operating Officer. Joshua, the younger brother of John Henry, joined the firm in 2006. He transitioned to the family business from a Commercial Insurance Loss Control Consultant position. Joshua received his Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Science in 2001 and his Master of Science in Safety Science in 2002 from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ. He is achieved BCSPs Certified Safety Professional designation in 2009, TCIAs Certified Treecare Safety Professional designation in 2009, and ISAs Certified Arborist in 2011.
• Miguel Berumen, Sales Arborist. Miguel has been with S.P. McClenahan, Co., Inc. since 1983 and currently works as a Sales Arborist. Miguel was promoted to sales following an extensive career in the field where he was highly regarded for his expertise as a tree surgeon. Today, Miguel is a trusted advisor to many of S.P. McClenahan’s long time, top level clients. In addition to his duties as a Sales Arborist, Miguel serves as a Client Services Dispatcher for tree care.
• Juan Larios, Safety Supervisor. Juan has been employed by S.P. McClenahan, Co., Inc. since 1983. Juan is an ISA Certified Arborist and is a TCIA Certified Tree Care Safety Professional. Juan was promoted to Safety Supervisor after spending significant time in the field, where he earned companywide respect for his technical skills. As a Safety Supervisor, Juan works extensively with the staff ensuring that safety is a top priority, procedures are adhered to and high standards are consistently maintained.
• Chris Regan, Sales Arborist. Chris came to S.P. McClenahan, Co., Inc. following our 2013 acquisition of The Shady Tree Company of Menlo Park, CA. Following his arboricultural education and professional employment as an arborist in his native New Zealand, Chris moved to the United States in 2002 and worked as a General Manager of a local tree company. After completing his ISA Certified Arborist certification and training academy with the American Society of Consulting Arborists, Chris incorporated The Shady Tree Company in 2005 and successfully managed the business for 10 years. However, in 2015 Chris decided to transition over to S.P. McClenahan Co., Inc. so that he could focus more on the sales side of his career. Chris continues to service the majority of his former Shady Tree clients as well as many new clients throughout the Peninsula. Chris is ISA Tree Risk Assessor Qualified, and one of S.P. McClenahan’s leading sales arborists.
• Jason Shirar, Sales Arborist Jason came to S.P. McClenahan, Co., Inc. in 2016. Jason graduated from Southern Illinois University in 2013 with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Forestry, specializing in Urban Forest Management. He began his career in arboriculture by working in the field and learning the art of pruning, tree removal and plant health care services. As Jason’s passion for the industry grew, he furthered his education by completing a rigorous tree science academy which provided him the opportunity to focus on client services, safety and management. In addition, Jason holds a Qualified Applicators License for pesticide usage in California, and actively volunteers at Canopy (a local nonprofit specializing in the preservation of trees throughout the Mid Peninsula). Today, Jason is one of S.P. McClenahan’s top sales arborists.
• Jeoff Dunster, Plant Health Care Manager: Jeoff came to S.P. McClenahan in 2015 bringing with him a vast knowledge of tree disease, pest management and plant healthcare programs. Jeoff graduated from UC Davis with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Agricultural Systems and a minor in Entomology. After college, he worked as an agricultural Inspector for Napa County where he focused on pesticide control and enforcement. Wanting to work more on the management side of the industry, Jeoff eventually moved on to become an Integrated Pest Control Management Director for a local landscape company. As a hobby, Jeoff is a passionate gardener who specializes in organic farming. Inspired by his past volunteer work at the Edible Schoolyard Project in Berkeley, Jeoff coaches’s family, friends and coworkers on how to bring the “farm to the table.” On a professional level, he is currently the San Francisco Bay Chapter President and Board Member of the California Association of Pest Control Advisers. In addition, Jeoff has been a Pest Control Advisor and Qualified Applicator License holder since 2002.
• James M McClenahan, Chairman of the Board retired from S.P. McClenahan in May 2018 after 54 years of service. After beginning his career in the field 1964 he was President from 1977 to 2018. James is a registered consulting arborist, elected (#249) into the American Society of Consulting Arborists in1984. James McClenahan is a licensed Pest Control Operator, licensed contractor in the State of California, is a member of the California Arborist Association, International Society of Arboriculture, Society of Commercial Arboriculture, and the Tree Care Industry Association. Under his direction, S.P. McClenahan Company continued its reputation of excellence in the field of arboriculture and has flourished in the industry.
After more than a century of advocating for quality tree care operations and as a member company in the Tree Care Industry Association, we recognize that the manner in which we conduct business reflects upon the professionalism of the entire tree care industry and the arboriculture profession.
Therefore, S.P. McClenahan Co., Inc. has agreed to abide by the Arborist Pledge and the TCIA Code of Ethics in word, action, and within the spirit of integrity, which is at the core of these principles.
Members of Tree Care Industry Association assume a responsibility to the profession, society and their peers by pledging to uphold and abide by the following:
Please contact us directly for additional information regarding these positions.